Question about Dvd playback

matthew

I just installed this app last night (server, mce plugin and smart hub app).

I added a movie into the library and metadata was retrieved (cover, details, etc) just as one would expect.

When I tried to play the movie however, nothing happened. Play is highlighted, enter is pressed, but nothing happens. Even tried pressing the play button on the smart remote (sideways triange), and nothing happened. The movie is in the standard VOB format that DVD Fab rips DVD to.

In MCE the movie does start, but when it gets to the movie menu, I am unable to select play their either.

When attempting to view from chrome through the "Browse Library" option on the server (same box mce is on), the movie skips the movies menu and does start playing, but it pauses like every 20 secs for like 5 secs.

Edited by matthew

playback of folder rip structures and iso's is only fully supported by clients that natively support dvd or bluray. so that generally means the htpc clients. for all other clients, the server's ability to stream and transcode folder rip structures and iso is considered expiremental, meaning it will work with some titles, and others not at all.

Also, if your DVD rip has a menu in it, you will need to select the "Disable for DVD Rips" option under the Custom Player Interface in MBC (that's why you couldn't select anything on the menu).

• 7 months later...

Is there a way to play DVDs through Emby without ripping them? The reason I ask is that I've recently switched over from Emby classic/WMC to Emby Samsung/Smart Hub as there have been so many problems with WMC. With WMC, I could play DVDs directly. But now I don't have that option because the Samsung Smart Hub has no way to control my HTPC's DVD/Bluray player. So I'm wondering if there is a way for Emby to control DVD playback (either natively or via PowerDVD 10 or other player) so that it can output the movie from the Emby server to the Smart Hub? I'm asking mainly with regard to rental DVD's where I don't want to rip them as that would be illegal. 

I have work arounds, but they are non-trivial, and I'm looking for something integrated and simple that would be wife-friendly. :)