Moving existing Metadata to another location

altramarine
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

altramarine

Good evening,

Currently, i have all of my media residing in folders bundled up with metadata, backdrops, artwork, trailers, subtitles, etc.files.

For reasons I have not yet fully fathomed, I would like to have all of these files but the actual media file moved to a different folder.

I've discovered options:

• "Metadata -> Metadata path"
  • "Library -> Image by name path"

which should aid with my intentions. However, this will apply only to new content.

Will Existing content need to be relocated manualy?

Thank you!

altramarine

I have just tried changing "Metadata -> Metadata path" to another location. The result was not what I expected.

I suppose I did not ask the question correctly,

Please see the image below:

541d24cdf239c_image.png

Any way to have all of the above MB server generated files/folders BUT the .mkv file stored in a different dedicated folder?

I am going for a cleaner look:)

Many thanks!

Edited by altramarine

altramarine

I have just tried changing "Metadata -> Metadata path" to another location. The result was not what I expected.

I suppose I did not ask the question correctly,

Please see the image below:

541d24cdf239c_image.png

Any way to have all of the above MB server generated files/folders BUT the .mkv file stored in a different dedicated folder?

I am going for a cleaner look:)

Many thanks!

And a subtitles/trailer files if present

ginjaninja

think u want 'save artwork and metadata in media folder' under metadata....unticked.

dont recommend it though as this metadata doesnt need to be on fast storage.

with the option unticked I presume the metadata is stored within the application metadata folder.

Edited by ginjaninja

I think this will be a better option for you:

541dcb7ea16b7_metahidden.png

That will keep you metadata together with your media files but make them not visible to most other apps.

altramarine

Excellent, thanks Ebr! That works!

Is it worth adding a feature request to have the ability to specify an alternate location for all server generated files (listed above).

Reasoning behind this: sometimes I find myself navigating content using regular windows explorer and folders are pretty "loaded". Also, a friend of mine with Plex server showed me this feature with his Plex setup which I thought was neat.

You guys created an amazing piece of software with limited resources and I appreciate every single bit of it:) Just wanted to know if its worth your time.

• Solution

on the basics tab there is a checkbox to save metadata within media folders. uncheck it and that will give you exactly what you're looking for.

• Like 1

altramarine

on the basics tab there is a checkbox to save metadata within media folders. uncheck it and that will give you exactly what you're looking for.

Wow, however the heck i missed that!

Thanks Luke!

• 11 months later...
ytwatcher

I'd like an answer to the title of this thread please.

I've been using "save medatadata with files" in conjunction with "save as hidden" for about a year and have now decided it just doesn't work for us. We usually have show hidden files turned in Windows and the metadata is just too much noise. Is there a way to move all the existing metadata to the system location?

Thanks

Beardyname

I'd like an answer to the title of this thread please.

I've been using "save medatadata with files" in conjunction with "save as hidden" for about a year and have now decided it just doesn't work for us. We usually have show hidden files turned in Windows and the metadata is just too much noise. Is there a way to move all the existing metadata to the system location?

Thanks

emby won't move the existing metadata, if you change the location the metadata for new items will be created there, if you want this to apply retroactively just remove all the metadata from the existing items and do a re-fresh.

ytwatcher

emby won't move the existing metadata, if you change the location the metadata for new items will be created there, if you want this to apply retroactively just remove all the metadata from the existing items and do a re-fresh.

I was hoping to avoid re-downloading it all (need to watch my monthly bandwidth quota carefully), and perhaps someone had cobbled together a script or something. By your reply, I guess not. Thanks for taking the time to respond.